learning python...

Daniel Klein DanielK at jBASE.com
Wed Mar 21 14:17:19 EST 2001

I don't think you could go wrong with 'Learning Python' as it patiently
walks you thru all of the basics of the language, and then some. The book is
dated so it does not cover some of the more recent additions to the language
like list comprehensions and new string methods (like join()), etc.
Personally, from the standpoint of an experienced programmer, I found 'The
Quick Python Book' provided an accelerated introduction along with some
additional advanced concepts. From there, I would recommend "Programming
Python 2nd Ed." as well as the indispensible "Python Essential Reference"
(altho I think a new edition is in the works so you might want to wait for
that).

I've also got "Core Python Programming" and if I had to review it, I would
say that it tries to be all things to everyone but never quite hits the
mark. The examples always seem to fall short of what you are really looking
for. The author seems to explain the fundamental stuff very well but just as
it starts to get interesting, the section/chapter ends. I think instead of
using extra thick paper and large fonts to give the visual appearance of an
impressive body of work, the author should have provided a bit more detail
in some of the more advanced areas like network programming.

I hope some of this help.

Dan

news:3AB8ECB5.2197E940 at noaa.gov...