Python In A Nutshell - Numpy essential

Louis Luangkesorn lluang at
Mon Mar 12 15:49:48 CET 2001

I have to second that Numeric Python belongs in the ESSENTIAL column.  For me,
the fact that Python can replace Matlab was the reason I started using Python.
And when my university discontinued its campus-wide license, and every
installation of Matlab must be paid for, that it is an open-source replacement
for Matlab makes it uniquely valuable (Octave was too slow).

Jim Hill wrote:

> >>===== Original Message From Hamish Lawson <hamish_lawson at> =====
> >>
> >>For the third-party modules I'd nominate the following, grouped by
> >>desirability of inclusion:
> >>

> >>    NICE
> >>       Numerical Python
> I'd put this one in the ESSENTIAL column.
> Jim
> --

K Louis Luangkesorn
lluang at  PGP:0xF3E2D362
Whatsoever things are true, ... honest, ... just, ... pure, ... lovely, ... of
good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these
things.- motto - Northwestern University