Python 2.1b1 setup.py bug for HPUX11

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 7 04:58:58 EST 2001

Norman Shelley <Norman_Shelley-RRDN60 at email.sps.mot.com> writes:

> In order to build python 2.1b1 for
> % uname -a
> HP-UX wshelley B.11.00 A 9000/785 2014123772 two-user license
>
> I had to modify the setup.py script as follows. BTW, I did not request
> curses or termios in Modules/Setup either.

Obviously not - if you had, setup.py would not attempt to build it

> % diff setup.py setup.py.orig
> 385c385
> <             ###exts.append( Extension('termios', ['termios.c']) )
> ---
> >             exts.append( Extension('termios', ['termios.c']) )
> 418,419c418,419
> <             ###exts.append( Extension('_curses', ['_cursesmodule.c'],
> <             ###                       libraries = curses_libs) )
> ---
> >             exts.append( Extension('_curses', ['_cursesmodule.c'],
> >                                    libraries = curses_libs) )

What is the problem with building the termios and _curses modules? Is
it generally impossible to do so on HP/UX? Are some libraries or
header files necessary that are not generally available, but require
additional packages being installed? Are there additional #defines or
other magic needed to compile these modules?

It would be desirable to find a patch to setup.py that

a) automatically detects whether it can build these modules on HP/UX,
b) automatically skips them when building them is not possible, and
c) has no impact on other systems.

Your patch won't fulfil requirement c), as it drops termios
altogether. If you can come up with a patch that solves the problem
automatically, please submit it to sourceforge.net/projects/python.

Thanks,
Martin