Thoughts about extensions to the Python language

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Sat Mar 17 02:38:17 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Grant Griffin wrote:

> > I have written
> > systems using several other languages, including C, C++ and Perl, and none
> > of these languages can even come close of Python in terms of readability.
>
> Still, one can write FORTRAN in any language.  (But it takes so much
> work to write FORTRAN in Python that lazy folks don't bother.)

What do you mean in the parenthesis? Wrapping Fortran programs to Python
is now even easier than wrapping C programs. Take a look at f2py or
pyfort. By `easier' I mean that e.g. f2py can scan your Fortran sources
and automatically generate extension modules for Python. I don't know any
such tool for C, do you?

Pearu