Quoted identifiers in Python?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Mar 29 11:02:12 EST 2001

Eddie and Babs wrote:

> NOW... would this be a good thing for Python to have in the future? It
> would
> make element access consistent with subscripting:-
>
>         x = obj."Ivor the engine"
>
>             ...would be the same as
>
>         x = obj["Ivor the engine"]
>
> ..no?

I would hope they would not be the same, since one invokes __getattr__
while the other invokes __getitem__.  They're different things, they
shouldn't be forced to be the same thing.

/  \ Traveler, there are no paths.  Paths are made by walking.
\__/ Antonio Machado
    REALpolitik / http://www.realpolitik.com/
 Get your own customized newsfeed online in realtime ... for free!