Deleting dictionary items

Will Newton will at nospam.misconception.org.uk
Sun Mar 18 15:21:20 EST 2001

Andreas Jung wrote:

> #                What td.data ?  I assume td.data is your dictionary ?
> #                 item is now a tuple (x1,x2,x3...)
>
>>                         if item[attr] != value:
>
> #                  you can access the tuples elements by their position
> using the [] operator
> #                  e.g. item[0] gives x1, item[1] gives x2 ...
> #
>>                                 del td.data[item]
>
> #                  This should work

This makes me think, would it be a sane way of doing things to use a list
comprehension to modify a dictionary?

(I can't use it now, as I am stuck with 1.5.2 for the foreseeable future)

e.g.

filter(dict, lambda key: key == value)

or in my case a little more complex:

filter(dict, lambda key: key[attr] == value)

Is this possible? Desireable? Too stupid to contemplate?