Installing python on a virtual server account.

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Fri Mar 23 23:44:34 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:18:01 -0600, Lloyd Sommerer <lsommerer at sewardweb.com>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article <3ABB8549.1987BA68 at sewardweb.com>:

: My hosting
:company has python 1.5.1 installed and says they will not be upgrading

Sounds a lot like my web host. Well, I guess mine will upgrade eventually, but
don't mark it down on your calendar any time soon.

:(what they actually said was, "We are removing all references to Python
:from our website and are offically no longer supporting it. When we
:tried to upgrade to the newest version, it failed.").

Well, at least I know that you are not hosting where I host. They are still
supporting Python. 1.5.1/1.5.2, depending upon which server your site resides
on.

:Does anyone have experience installing 2.0 in a shared hosting
:situation?

Yea, verily. That was my "challenge for the week", last week.

:Even telling me that I can't do it and that I should give up
:would  be helpful at this point.

No, it can be done.

:I am on a SunOS 5.7 machine.  Both configure and make seem to run okay.
:Make install dies with the message attached at the bottom of this
:message.  I'm assuming that is because I don't have the needed
:permission.

Well, I am not the one to ask about permissions, or any type of error messages
on a *nix type system. But I can point you to the documented version of my
adventure. My site is hosted on a Red Hat Linux server. I did successfully
install Python-2.0 in my own server space, with MUCH assistance from the folks
on the Python Tutor list. My (mis)adventure is detailed in the archives of the
Tutor list:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2001-March/thread.html

Under the subject:
Help with 500 error on cgi script

As for whether you have permissions to install your own software, I guess
you'd have to ask your host about that.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

:Thanks for any advice.
:
:Lloyd Sommerer
:
:=====================================================
:gcc   python.o \
:          ../libpython2.0.a -ldb  -lpthread -lsocket -lnsl -ldl
:-lthread -lm  -
:o python
:Undefined                       first referenced
: symbol                             in file
:Py_Main                             python.o
:ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to python
:*** Error code 1
:make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `link'
:Current working directory /home/gatheri/python/Modules
:*** Error code 1
:make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `python'