sharing data between modules

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Mar 23 11:58:34 EST 2001

In article <20010323.073801.76065818.26070 at mead.troikanetworks.com>,
Bruce Edge <bedge at troikanetworks.com> wrote:

>As a C++ guy I tend to put each class in a different file. In python this
>gives me a different module for each class. My app uses this group of
>classes, ie: modules, what's the best way to share data between them?
>
>Currently I register the classes with each other using class static data,
>so they all have a reference to each other. Ideally, I'd like to be able
>to have a few globals that every module can see.

If you're sharing instance data, references are the best way to go.  If
it's truly global data, one of the advantages of Python modules is that
they *are* namespaces.  So either create a globals.py if variables are
shared across multiple classes or set variables in your class modules if
it's specific to a single class.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"I won't accept a model of the universe in which free will, omniscient
gods, and atheism are simultaneously true."  -- M