Collection interfaces

Troy Brumley t*b*r*u*m*l*e*y at f*u*s*e.n*e*t
Wed Mar 21 08:33:22 EST 2001

in article 3AB8A730.4BE13D22 at mail.com, James A. Robertson at
jarober at mail.com wrote on 3/21/01 8:06 AM:

> topmind wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk
>>>

>> I only see a front page, not a parsing example.
>>

> Follow the tutorial link - it's right there on that page.
>

>> Besides, what are you comparing it to so say
>> it is better than a procedural/relational approach?
>
> It's vastly easier than similar code done in C or basic, for example

User testimonial here ... last week I had to rip thorugh a pile of IIS logs
to get some statistics for some people, and I used the original (non-gui)
tutorial code as a starting point. I was once again impressed with how much
easier it was to do several common data processing tasks in Smalltalk than
it was in Assembly language or C or Pascal.

I'm a long time procedural type, learning to really think in and use
Smalltalk has been an interesting experience.

I've also done a lot of database "fixing" and Smalltalk has usually beat out
raw SQL for anything but the most trivial tasks.

All that said, I think it's the environment (interactive) that improves the
experience as much as the language itself. If I had a reasonable
interpretive BASIC environment available, I could probably do many of the
things I did in Smalltalk almost as easily ... certainly more easily than
with C.