Threading legality/morality

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Mar 27 10:03:27 EST 2001

In article <h0%v6.1842$NR.144463 at news3.oke.nextra.no>,
Syver Enstad <syver at NOSPAMcyberwatcher.com> wrote:

>I have seen some strange behaviour in some multi threaded programs I have
>made in python, where they seem to lockup, but a push on the the return key
>(or another key, I don't know) keeps them going. These are console programs,
>running under Win2000 server and professional, Python 2.0.
>
>As I was writing this I checked out my program that has been running for
>about 24 hours, downloading files from the internet via urllib, and using
>ADO via pythoncom. It has been running ever so happily until about 10 clock
>this morning when I inspected some output it had given. Then it froze for
>about three hours, when I pushed a key on the keyboard it continued again.
>Strange.

There is a misfeature in urllib such that the standard FancyURLOpener
class prompts for input if it gets an HTTP 401 (authorization needed).
You probably pressed ENTER.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Boost the stock market -- fire someone"