Cameron Laird Quote on www.unixinsider.com -- Probably old news to y'all, but new to me.

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Mar 15 10:37:01 EST 2001

In article <mailman.984661520.22665.python-list at python.org>,
Paul Prescod  <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote:
>Just van Rossum wrote:

>> Yeah, I was going to say: there's an awfully large application area _between_
>> scripting and interactive 3d graphics apps! Python already does quite well
>> with interactive 2d graphics, though: see eg. Sketch.
>
>There were video game guys at the conference who say they use Python on
>the client side for the AI. On the other hand, even the most basic
>script depends heavily on parts of the interpreter and the OS written in
>C. So the vast majority of apps will profit from a mix of languages. But
>each year the proportion will shift from towards Python and away from C.
>Embedding Python will become less interesting than embedding (and
>inlining!) C, just as C inlines assembly.
			.
			.
			.
Right.

Since my name is attached to this thread (through a
mistaken identification), I'll make a personal remark.
This is my position:
1.  If someone walked up to me on the street,
    and said, "What computing language should
    I learn?", I'd answer, "Without knowing
    anything about you and your true needs,
    the only safe thing I can say is that Py-
    thon is the one language applicable in
    the widest span of applications, and for
    the broadest spectrum of authors."
2.  It's my personal mission to help organi-
    zations feel safe using multiple
    languages--Python+C, C+assembler,
    Fortran+Tcl, Ruby+SQL+XML, ...
--