Python and Printing

Ben Hutchings ben.hutchings at
Wed Mar 7 00:59:23 CET 2001

Mix <mix77 at> writes:

> I have pictures (JPEG) which I get from a database and dump in an
> arbitrary directory.
> To print a picture I do the following:
>       import os
>       os.system("lpr lena.jpg")
> My problem is that page orientation is always"landscape" instead
> "portatrait".  What switch is there to specify orientation for "lpr"
> if any?

Is 'lpr' part of Python?  No?  Then this isn't really a Python

> P.S. I'm working under linux (redhat 7.0 distribution ).

So try asking in a Linux or Unix newsgroup such as
comp.os.linux.questions or comp.os.linux.redhat.  Or even searching
those groups first.

I think you're out of luck, actually.  You probably need to set up
separate printer queues for portrait and landscape documents.

Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of Roundpoint.