How to installing NumPy?

Christopher Lee clee at
Wed Mar 7 03:18:28 CET 2001

    Nuzhet> Hi,

    Nuzhet> I am trying to install NumPy on a RedHat 7.0 running python2.0.
    Nuzhet> Everything is in the standard places (I think!) and I picked up
    Nuzhet> and unzipped
    Nuzhet> into
    Nuzhet> /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages. And set PYTHONPATH to
    Nuzhet> /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages.

Numpy uses distutils for easy installation with python 2.0

1. become root at the command line
2. cd to the directory into which the Numeric package was unzipped.  It
   should be called something like Numeric-17.1.1
3. type:
          python install

   (This installs the core Numeric modules)

4. Then type:
          python install

   (installs the additinal packages)

You should be good-to-go.  If you don't see the scripts and you are either in the wrong place or you have a broken
distribution.  If you get the chance, you might want to download 17.3.3;
it has some bug fixes.