Very Cool

Brendhan Horne brendhanhorne at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 12 20:45:10 EST 2001

Everybody thank you for your help you may have broken the one barrier that
was causing me not to understand this. Now let explain what happened and
maybe you can clarify something even futher for me.
I went in to my Python 20 command line interpreter the DOS based one ( am I
saying that right )  And wrote in what you guys sent me.
Items in parenthsis () are notes about what I did or what happen nothing in
those parenthesis was ever typed in.

>>>while 1:    ( I wrote this in )(press enter key
....    print "Hello World"  ( the dots would appear as soon as I entered in
while 1:)
File "<stdin>", line 2
   print  "Hello World"
       (there is a control symbol under the t in print)
Indentation Error: expected an indented block

I tried typing it in several different ways and basically that was the error
message I got. So I tried it in the IDLE and it worked very cool. I saved
the file as test.py.  If I opened it in IDLE it would open another window
showing me the file code not actully running it.  If I click on it the
command line would open and run the program properly you would see hello
world running up the screen. If I hit CTRL+C it would just completly close
(while the command line version was running). I have set path in my
autoexec.bat for Python and I am running win98se. But in easy terms why the
differences. Why couldn't I type it in command line and get it to work
correctly, yet in IDLE no problem. Why when I clicked on the file would it
open in command and work ( I know about the path helping that but I guess I
get miffed when I type it in the command line and it doesn't  work for me).
Please forgive the lack of intellegence in my questions but I figure I will
learn more if I ask even the stupid questions.

--
Thanks,
Brendhan