How to installing NumPy?

Harald Rosemann rosemann at imkt.uni-hannover.de
Wed Mar 7 05:27:57 EST 2001

Christopher Lee wrote:

>     Nuzhet> Hi,
>
>     Nuzhet> I am trying to install NumPy on a RedHat 7.0 running python2.0.
>     Nuzhet> Everything is in the standard places (I think!) and I picked up
>     Nuzhet> and unzipped
>     Nuzhet> http://download.sourceforge.net/numpy/NumPy1711_20.zip into
>     Nuzhet> /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages. And set PYTHONPATH to
>     Nuzhet> /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages.
>
> Numpy uses distutils for easy installation with python 2.0
>
> 1. become root at the command line
> 2. cd to the directory into which the Numeric package was unzipped.  It
>    should be called something like Numeric-17.1.1
> 3. type:
>           python setup.py install
>
>    (This installs the core Numeric modules)
>
> 4. Then type:
>           python setup_all.py install
>
>    (installs the additinal packages)
>
> You should be good-to-go.  If you don't see the scripts setup.py and
> setup_all.py you are either in the wrong place or you have a broken
> distribution.  If you get the chance, you might want to download 17.3.3;
> it has some bug fixes.

I tried to install Numeric-17.3.0 by:
        python setup.py install
on SuSE-Linux 7.1.

Got the error message:
gcc -O2 -m486 -fpic -IInclude -I/usr/include/python2.0 -c
Src/_numpymodule.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.0/Src/_numpymodu
Src/_numpymodule.c:1: Python.h: No such file or directory

In Python-2.0 I found:
        Python-2.0/Include/Python.h
but that doesn't seem to work.

What's wrong here?