Basic information requested

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 08:58:06 EST 2001

"Jamie MacIsaac" <jamie at cctech.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MHks6.144$lC5.52172 at news2-win.server.ntlworld.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've just started looking at Python and would like to use it to perform
some
> simple admin tasks on a Windows network. However, I'm having difficulty
> finding out how to accomplish elementary tasks.
>
> Can someone please point me to sample code that shows how to map a network
> share and copy some files? Is there a central resource of code samples?

win32net (part of the win32all extensions) does that sort of 'networking'
tasks (and, yep, Hammond's book does cover it inter alia).

If you have win32all installed (and if you don't, visit ActiveState
and download and install it!), there will be a directory such as
D:\Python20\win32\demos which has various Python demo/example
sources -- have a look at win32netdemo.py and you'll see some
example uses of the win32net and ancillary extension modules.

Alex