installing 2.x over the top of 1.5.2

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Sun Mar 18 14:01:39 EST 2001

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:39:50 -0800, Timothy Grant wrote:
>This problem has been bothering me for a while.
>
>Python v1.5.2 is installed by default on RH6.2 boxes.
>
>My problem is that upgrading an RH6.2 box by using the 2.x rpms
>now means that there are two versions of Python installed on my
>box, and any extra modules I have installed have to be copied
>to the new location for v2.x. I then need to uninstall the
>v1.5.2 rpms.

Have you looked if there are any Python 2.0 RPMs from Redhat themselves? For my
distribution (SuSE) they appeared shortly after the Python 2.0 release in the
contrib directory of the ftp server. I did it that way. Install Python 2.0 RPMs
from distributor. Fix .SPEC files and patches for Source RPMs. Recompile source
RPMs. For the most part, I simply could do a search for python1.5 and replace
it with python2.0 in the .SPEC files.

I always try to install things from RPM or create my own RPMs.

>I'm sure someone somewhere has come up with a clean way of
>upgrading Python. As with all thing Pythonic, there must be an
>easier way.

Yes, I think rpm --rebuild pyFooBang.SPEC is as clean as it can get.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de
web:    http://highqualdev.com