any interest in type-scoped static constants?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Mar 11 11:12:29 EST 2001

In article <3AAB9578.4C8754E4 at fxtech.com>,
Paul Miller  <paul at fxtech.com> wrote:

>If I write an extension type that mirrors the functionality of a C++
>class, and the C++ has static constants within its scope, I can do this
>in C++:
>
>	Point p = Point::ZERO;
>
>Where ZERO is defined as:
>
>	class Point
>	{
>		static Point ZERO = Point(0, 0);
>	};
>
>If I create an extension type for Point, I can't do this:
>
>	p = Point.ZERO

Hmmmm....  The problem is that in Python, you've got a recursive
structure definition -- is that exact syntax really legal in C++?  In
Python itself, the way I'd do this is to create a module Point that
contains the Point class, and following the class definition create the
ZERO object.  Then you refer to it as Point.ZERO and create new points
with Point.Point().

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Perhaps God rewards martyrs, but life seldom does..." --Ulrika O'Brien