gah! I hate the new string syntax

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Mar 8 13:32:43 EST 2001

In article <mailman.984063199.18779.python-list at python.org>, D-Man wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 06:51:07PM +1300, Paul Foley wrote:
>| On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:33:30 -0500, D-Man  wrote:
>|
>| > What about one who is both English and Scots, yet never set foot on
>| > that island ;-)?
>|
>| AFAIK, nobody outside the US would admit the existence of such a
>| thing.  The American habit of calling themselves "Irish" or "Italian"
>| or whatever when they're not is *very* strange.  I've never heard
>| anything like it anywhere else.
>
>Heh.  Maybe Americans are very odd.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.  ;-)

I've always boggled at Americans' habit of claiming foriegn
nationality based on where one or two of their great, great,
grandparents were born. If you were born in the US, your
parents were born in the US, and your grandparents were born in
the US, you are _not_ Irish, Polish, German, Norwegian,
Chinese, or whatever.  You're an American.  Deal with it.

If your parents were born in France and you speak French at
home, I'll let you get buy with claiming to be "French" even
though you were born in the US and carry a US Passport.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I hope I
                                  at               bought the right