gah! I hate the new string syntax

John W. Baxter jwbnews at
Sat Mar 10 03:13:20 CET 2001

In article <G5eq6.47941$ML1.2142034 at>,
 "Steve Holden" <sholden at> wrote:

> "Aahz Maruch" <aahz at> wrote in message
> news:98asrq$645$1 at
> > In article <98amlj01sp6 at>,
> > Alex Martelli <aleaxit at> wrote:
> > >"Steve Holden" <sholden at> wrote in message
> > >news:BcCp6.37817$1D5.1582482 at
> > >    [snip]
> on
> > >    [snip]
> are
> > >
> > >Wrong!  You're talking about people whose seafaring skills and
> > >traditions are (deservedly) legendary.  It's perfectly acceptable
> > >for either an English or a Scot to be born aboard a ship...!!!
> >
> > Since when are *women* allowed aboard ships?
> Women were allowed aboard British ships in the eighteenth and nineteenth
> centuries, I believe. The phrase "shake a leg" (meaning to stop lazing about
> and start work) is held to have been used by ships' mates to get the seamen
> out of their bunks. A woman would show her leg to let the mate know she
> should not be rousted out to work.
And at least one of the US Clipper ships finished a New York to San
Fransicso voyage under the command of the Captain's widow.  The captain
died en route.  The wife was aboard as navigator (being better at the
task than the mate), and the crew made it clear that things would go
much better with her in command than with the mate in command.  Sorry, I
don't have a reference handy (and the right Google search for this one
could be a bit tricky to create).

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at