Evaluating *EVERYTHING*

David Allen mda at idatar.com
Thu Mar 29 13:58:18 EST 2001

Quick question:

How do I get the interpreter to 'validate' code by
trying to evaluate *everything* so I can catch bugs?

For example, recently while hacking I discovered that
in a file where I was using FoobarException, I wrote
this line:

raise FoobarExceptoin

The typo would have caused a runtime error.  I never
found this though, because that condition never came
up in testing.  (It's pretty obscure and time related,
I don't think I could have manufactured it if I wanted
to)

Is there a way to get python to look through a whole
file and say "Whoa there bucky - I've never heard
of FoobarExceptoin"

I know that there are other more subtle problems,
like:

typo = 5
tyop = typo * 5

and that the compiler can't probably catch those.  But
surely it should be able to catch the programmer
trying to raise an exception that doesn't exist?

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/