Bug fix releases

Guido van Rossum guido at digicool.com
Sat Mar 3 14:44:19 EST 2001

> Guido van Rossum writes:
>  > I wonder, does that extend to new library modules?  Is there also
>  > resistance against the growth there?  I don't think so -- if anything,
>  > people are clamoring for more stuff to become standard (while at the
>
>   There is still the issue of name clashes; introducing a new module
> in the top-level namespace introduces a potential conflict with
> someone's application-specific modules.  This is a good reason for us
> to get the standard library packagized sooner rather than later
> (although this would have to be part of a "feature" release;).

But of course the library repackaging in itself would cause enormous
outcries, because in a very real sense it *does* break code.

>  > Wait a minute!  Now you're making it too complicated.  Betas of bugfix
>  > releases?  That seems to defeat the purpose.  What kind of
>
>   Betas of the bugfix releases are important -- portability testing is
> fairly difficult to do when all we have are Windows and Linux/x86
> boxes.  There's definately a need for at least one beta.  We probably
> don't need to lengthy, multi-phase alpha/alpha/beta/beta/candidate
> cycle we're using for feature releases now.

OK, you can have *one* beta.  That's it.

>  > It's not too late, as I mentioned.  We'll also do this for 2.1.
>
>   Managing the bugfix releases would also be an excellent task for
> someone who's expecting to use the bugfix releases more than the
> feature releases -- the mentality has to be right for the task.  I
> know I'm much more of a "features" person, and would have a hard time
> not crossing the line if it were up to me what went into a bugfix
> release.

That's how all of us here at PythonLabs are feeling...  I feel a
community task coming.  I'll bless a 2.0.1 release and the general
idea of bugfix releases, but doing the grunt work won't be a
PythonLabs task.  Someone else inside or outside Python-dev will have
to do some work.  Aahz?

>  > BTW, See you at the conference!
>
>   If we don't get snowed in!

Good point.  East coasters flying to LA on Monday, watch your weather
forecast!