New PEP: The directive statement

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 24 05:32:16 EST 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:

> The entire point of the PEP is to give incompatible language changes
> a trial run of at least one full release cycle before saying "that's
> it".  In what respect does that come off as absolute certainty to
> you?  And in what respect does your PEP differ in relation to this
> point?  If you have a better idea, change your PEP to spell it out.

That was rather meant as a comment to PEP 236: Instead of giving a
mandatory release, it appears that all you can specify is a
is_mandatory (isMandatory, or mandatory_p) flag; this is also all you
said an application might need.

> > Tim claims that I invented the statement to declare file encodings,
> > e.g.
> >
> > directive encoding "koi8-r"
>
> Gimme a break

Ok, I should have put a smiley in there, I guess :-) It is a fact that
you were claiming it, it is also a fact that I do like to see the
possibility to specify source encodings.

It's just that I cannot hope to get that now - but I had the hope that
the future statement would be removed before the 2.1 release. Now that
the final beta still has it, that hope is vanishing...

Regards,
Martin