jython question: accessing protected superclass methods

Mats Wichmann xyzmats at laplaza.org
Sun Mar 4 08:18:03 EST 2001

On 03 Mar 2001 22:03:06 -0800, Michael Vanier
<mvanier at endor.bbb.caltech.edu> wrote:

>So, I've been playing with jython for a few hours, and I'm *really*
>impressed.  This is a kick-ass system for doing portable graphics
>programming.
>
>However, the online docs are a bit sparse

Indeed.  Feel free to contribute to the docs, by the way, once you get
this worked out.  Jython is just like Python...except when it isn't,
and things work just like you'd expect, except when they can't because
of the way the JVM works... and those conditions are not always easy
to find out about. I'm sure any contributions would be welcome...

>Also, I was surprised to find that MyJPanel, just by subclassing JPanel, gets
>its own public version of the protected JPanel methods!  So if I don't
>override the method, I can call it directly.  I assume this is intentional,
>but maybe the jython developers can comment.

You'll get a quicker response, in general, on the jython-users (or for
appropriate topics, jython-developers) mailing list, if the question
is Jython-specific.  The core developers are very helpful, but don't
seem to be very active on this newsgroup.  You can signup for the
lists through the Jython project site, jython.sourceforge.net.

Mats
(a lurker on the jython lists, not a developer)