Who's minister of propaganda this week?

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Sun Mar 18 18:01:36 EST 2001

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:24:54 -0800, Daniel Klein <danielk at aracnet.com> pisze:

> Having dealt with both Java and Python, I can confirm that once
> you are use to a dynamically typed language, variable declarations
> become like training wheels; once you learn how to 'ride the bike'
> they just get in the way.

Let me repeat that an important cause of complaints about static
typing are poor languages like C++ and Java.

In Haskell, OCaml, SML, Clean you don't have to write explicit type
declarations on variables or functions. They are usually written on
public functions for the purpose of documentation and for checking
that the body really has the type that the programmer has in mind,
but types can be inferred by the compiler and don't clutter the code.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/