"!=" is bad form. Re: sorry....never mind

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Sat Mar 10 00:37:11 CET 2001

James Logajan <JamesL at Lugoj.Com> wrote:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > I realize I seem to be in the minority in this group when I say I like
> > C/C++.  NB: I like them as _languages_, but would prefer NOT to do
> > everyday programming in them, as they're just a pain in the ass most of
> > the time.
>
> Ironically, I like C and have been coding in C on and off for it seems just
> about forever (well, 18 some years I think). And I find programming in C a
> mostly pleasurable experience. Yet as I stated earlier, for Python "<>"
> feels "righter" to me than "!=". I suspect it is a triviality for both
> programmers to understand, and the language to support, both forms. While
> deprecating "<>" in Python would not mean the end of civilization as we know
> it, it would be a damn shame anyway.

Likewise, I would be disappointed if '!=' were deprecated, but, as you
said, not the end of civilisation.  ;)

> (a < b) or (a >  b)  --->  (a <> b)

Thank you, BTW for this explanation.  I just don't think of it like
that, but it makes a little more sense to me now.  Thx.

--
-Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org>
A university is what a college becomes when