learning C

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Mar 13 12:40:51 EST 2001

In article <j6kr6.68748$ML1.3282888 at e420r-atl2.usenetserver.com>, Steve Holden wrote:

>> > This is nothing more difficult than in C.
>>
>> Sorry but it is. There's just so much less lurking under
>> the hood in C.
>>
>But by this argument, assembly code is even better!

Yes, but not much.  C is little more than a portable assembly
language.  If we're talking about embedded systems, a competent
programmer pretty much knows what assembly language the C
compiler is going to generate for each line of code he writes.
Example: for a particular processor/compiler combination he
should know whether it's faster to increment a pointer through
an array or to increment an index through an array.

>It's always a question of selecting language features because
>they are appropriate to your problem domain.

If there were some way to disable C++ features, then yes, that
might be feasible.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Thank god!!... It's
                                  at               HENNY YOUNGMAN!!