Python Programming on Win32 (was: Magnitude of the wx* market (was: Python In A Nutshell - suggestions))

Don Tuttle tuttledon at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:40:27 EST 2001

"Laura Lewin" <Laura_01 at MailAndNews.com> wrote in message
news:3AB16A79 at MailAndNews.com...
<snip>
> To try to address your other concerns (your mini rant), we are planning
> application-oriented books in the Python space, but these will be for
> developers.  I hear your concerns about books that cover Python apps, but
> ORA's main focus has always been for the developer, and that's where
you'll
> see most of our books.  I can't speak for all of the other
publishers/authors
> out there.

Hmm... I guess I didn't make myself clear.  I'm not really interested in
Python apps.  I'm interested in more specific topics on Python Development.
In short, don't make me learn VB, Perl, or C++ just so I can THEN figure out
how to do it in Python.  (This is a general statement to all publishers, not
just O'Reilly.)

The void in how to program in Python has been filled by several good books.
The basic language is no longer an issue.  How to do usefull tasks is. This
is where I have to go to current books written for other languages (And yes,
I just got my copy yesterday Programming Python 2E. ;-)

In Python Programming On Win32's case, it suffers from too much breadth, not
enough depth. It would be much better to chop the cookbook sections up into
a seperate series of books.  As for .NET, if the Common Language Runtime
becomes cross platform, you won't have to call this a Win32 series anymore!

> Please do check out The Python Cookbook
> (http://pythoncookbook.activestate.com/)though.  You mention an interest
in
> system administration, databases, network programming.  These are all
> sections > in the Cookbook.  Feel free to contribute recipes, or take any
with you!!

It's about time! <wink> I was complaining about a need for a Python Cookbook
here several months ago!

Don