Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at usa.net
Sat Mar 31 23:37:13 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com>
Subject: RE: Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

> [Moshe Zadka]
> > Python would never fit on a floppy.
>
> Sure it can!  Python + the entire base std library (top level of Lib/)
still
> fits on a floppy with ease, if you use any common compression scheme.
Just
> for fun, I just built a zip file with that stuff for the Windows 2.1b2
> distribution, and it came in at just over a tad above 1Mb (so about 70% of
> one floppy).  What that leaves out from the *std* Windows distribution is,
> primarily, 7Mb (unpacked) of HTML docs, Tcl/Tk, the C header files and
link
> libraries, and the Tools/ directory (incl. IDLE).

Have you seen Marc-André Lemburg's mxCGIPython project?  Most of the
all-in-one-file Python interpreters there fit on a floppy (although of
course supporting libraries/DLL's may not).  I use CGIPython for WinNT
on CD-ROM's for Win95/98 with good success, and am using the Linux version
for CGI's on a Linux-based free hosting service which does not otherwise
support Python.  Don't let the CGI prefix fool you, you can do non-CGI work
(basically anything not needing the interactive mode) with this package.

Most of the binary builds are 1.5.2 but that doesn't bother me.