Urgent Question about Python licensing

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Sat Mar 10 06:43:15 EST 2001

Dave LeBlanc wrote:

> My questions are these:
> 1. What prevents Python and GPL code from being distributed together?
> If I write some Python code that drives a GPL'd app (but  which does
> not depend on that app), what prevents me from offering both my python
> code and the GPL'd app on the same medium (disk/CD/web)?

Nothing. But many people want to build apps that combine GPL'ed code
with the Python code base.

> 2. Is it currently so, or will Python end up with, some license that
> requires that python scripts be covered by the GPL?

I'll go out on a limb and say that will never, ever happen. There is
very low interest in the Python community in promoting the philosophy
behind the GPL. Very little software in the Python world is licensed
under GPL-like terms.

And even if Guido were to jump on the FSF bandwagon, it would require a
whole new level of religion to require that *SCRIPTS* also use the GPL.
Even Richard Stallman would not suggest that Guido should be that
restrictive. Gnu compiler tools are not that restrictive.

Scripts are not at issue. The interpreter is at issue.

--
Python:
    Programming the way