gah! I hate the new string syntax

Mark Pilgrim f8dy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 13:35:09 EST 2001

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shaleh at valinux.com> wrote in message
> > 3. I *like* string methods, even .join()
>
> ";" . join() # in perl, this means concat ";" with the result of join()
>
> Yes, I know this is an issue you learn to deal with.  However, the nice,
pretty
> string module at least makes python look like python.

I can't help you deal with the Perl issues of your childhood, but I can
recommend a good therapist. ;)

> Mark, I like a lot of what I read in your book.  The apihelper is a nifty
idea
> (if only it worked on the re module )-:).  However, the coding style and

Heh heh, it does work on the re module, it's just not very helpful because
the module doesn't include docstrings for the top-level functions.  The
authors are actually aware of this; see sre.py, line 41:
# FIXME: add docstrings

> decisions seem counter to the python way.  But maybe that is just me and
my
> hyper sensitivity to hard to read code after way too many lines of perl.

I am always open to suggestions.  I have already made some code rewrites
after discussions with readers, including several clarifications in chapter
1 and a substantial rewrite in chapter 2 (using getattr instead of eval).

A better place to discuss "Dive Into Python"-specific issues is Andamooka,
which is hosting a mirror of the book with an integrated discussion board on
each page.  Unfortunately, the version of the book they have is a month out
of date (and doesn't include the getattr rewrite), but it's better than
cluttering up the newsgroup.
  http://www.andamooka.org/index.pl?section=divein

-M
You're smart; why haven't you learned Python yet?
http://diveintopython.org/