How do I avoid the Tkinter 30 msec polling loop.

David Allen mda at idatar.com
Sat Mar 17 13:41:52 EST 2001

In article <98toci$ktjh$1 at fido.engr.sgi.com>, "Paul Jackson" <pj at sgi.com>
wrote:

<snip>

> Anyhow, is there anyway to stop or radically slow this loop?
>
> The little window responds to no key or mouse input.  It just changes the
> text message when Label.configure (text="you have mail") or some such is
> executed after the once a minute thread wakes up and notices a change in the
> mail box.

Check out:
http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/x9129-alarm-handlers-and-other.htm

It is a page on Tkinter non-event callbacks.  It has
a set of methods described there for Tkinter where you
can call a certain function once every X milliseconds
where you specify X.  If you read that page, I think
it will answer your questions.

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/