Command-line interface to the Online Oxford English Dictionary.

Alex new_name at mit.edu
Thu Mar 1 16:26:03 EST 2001

I've written a CLI for oed.com.  You need to be on a network that's
subscribed to its service.  If there's sufficient interest, and I can
get access to a machine off MIT's network, and access to an OED account,
I'll add password-based access.

You can get it at

http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb.mit.edu/user/alex_c/oed/oed-1.0.tgz

Here's the README file:

Online interface to oed.com.  Run the command 'oed.py' with no arguments
to get usage information.

COPYRIGHT

As far as I'm concerned, you can do as you wish with the code in this
package, but the installation process makes two files, cookied_urllib.py
and pronunciation.py, that are based on python's urllib.py and the page
http://dictionary.oed.com/help/OED_guide/pronunciation_2e.htm, and these
are encumbered with copyrights.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Thanks to Liana Lareau for the idea for this code, and to jhawk for
pointing me at the oed URL above.  Obviously, the code would be
worthless without python and oed.com, too; thanks to everyone who's
worked on those.

INSTALLATION

Run the command 'python2.0 make_files.py'.

On unix, put cookied_urllib.py and symbol.py somewhere that will allow
them to be imported by python programs.  Put oed somewhere that your
shell can find it, and try it out.  Let me know if you have any
problems.

I'm not sure what you'd do to get this working on a windows box, but if
you're used to using command-line interfaces, hopefully you'll know
enough to figure it out.  If someone sends me instructions, I'll include
them in a subsequent README.

Enjoy. :)
Alex.

--