how to indent blocks in vi using << and >>

at nspurrier
Fri Mar 16 23:10:04 EST 2001

I was dumbfounded when I learned this... It's so obvious.
Am I the only one? I'm sure this will seem stupid to vi veterans,
but I've used vi for years, yet I never knew about these commands:

	and
	<<
It turns out these are critical for editing Python with vi.
The << and >> commands are used to for block indenting.
The >> indents a line right one tab and << indents a line left
one tab. You can indent a whole bunch of lines by giving a number
the number before the >> or <<. For example, 10>> will indent
ten lines from the current cursor position.

Carry on,
Noah Spurrier