Einstein's Riddle

Boris Popov no-spam-popov at bigserver.com
Sun Mar 11 16:43:02 EST 2001

"Gregory Jorgensen" <gregj at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:UdSq6.2184$54.2166 at www.newsranger.com...
> The 2% that can solve it must be psychic or deranged. The riddle as posed
is not
> solvable.
>
> We are told of five houses anf five people. The hints mention five colors
(red,
> green, white, yellow, blue), five drinks (tea, coffee, milk, beer, water),
five
> smokes (Pall Mall, Dunhill, Blends, Bluemaster, Prince), and five
nationalities
> (Brit, Swede, Dane, Norwegian, German). But only four types of pet are
> mentioned: dogs, birds, cats, horse. We have no evidence that any of the
five
> owns fish.
>
> More telling: how many people can't quickly determine that this puzzle is
> unsolvable?

Well.. That's the trick of the puzzle...  and I admit I did not notice it
right away :))) My mind tricked me into thinking that there's a fish even
though statements do not mention it.
I would just say that it's not *unsolvable*... It turns out to be solveable
completely except the type of the pet german owns. It's a hole in the
solution table and we can't do anything about it...  Let's just say that
puzzle is solvable but we cannot answer the question without making any
assumptions.

-Boris

> In article <oNPq6.396644$ge4.138479566 at news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>, Steve
Graham