from Tkinter import *

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Mar 9 20:00:17 EST 2001

qrczak at knm.org.pl (Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk) writes:

> 08 Mar 2001 22:39:42 -0500, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> pisze:
>
> > the one place I still see a use for "import *" even in production
> > code is large wrapped C libraries that already name everything
> > according to a flat namespace (for example, staying in the GUI
> > vein, wxPython).
>
> I would prefer to remove these prefixes while porting to a language
> with a module system.

Generally the issue arises when the library isn't being "ported" but
just wrapped, and in most cases largely in an automatic fashion.  I
certainly wouldn't object to modularizing, but it's bound to make it
harder to keep the wrappings up to date - unless tools such as SWIG
are augmented to take care of the prefix processing for you.  In the
meantime, I'd still happy to have flat wrapping than nothing.

--
-- David