Yet Another PEP: Query Protocol Interface or __query__

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Sat Mar 24 22:22:20 EST 2001

Below is an updated version of the proposal Ive been
a champion for.  It incorporates a great deal of feedback
that Ive received.  Changes include:

   * By default, adapt now throws an error again, however
     an alternate object can be provided upon failure much
     like getattr.

   * Now __adapt__ can either return None or throw a TypeError
     with the same effect.

   * This now includes reverse adaptation of the object
     by the protocol via __prodapt__ (better name?), which
     is very similar to Paul Prescods __check__

   * The text has been tightened (hopefully eliminating
     much superfluous material)

   * The sample implementation code has been cleaned up
     and tested in more detail.

   * Ive received much comment to remove the type-checking
     stuff.  I have a question:  Is type-checking a component
     of adapting?

I would very much appreciate any comments and feedback.

Especially if the intent/value of this proposal is not
clear as I seem to be having a difficult time with the
expression of this.

Further, I still do not have a PEP number.  Either I have
not asked correctly, am being stupid, have pissed someone
off, or am proposing something that has already been
rejected.  In any case, what do I do?

Kind regards,

Clark

P.S.  Id like to thank Alex Martelli for his most helpful
      comments and hope that I have dutifully incorporated
      his suggestions appropriately.

PEP: XXX
Title: Protocol Checking and Adaptation
Version: $Revision$