Python FTP-Class w/ Resuming-Capabilities -- General Questions

Julian Schäfer-Jasinski julschae at t-online.de
Sat May 26 07:31:30 EDT 2001

Hi List,

My name is Julian and I have only coded a few snippets
and small applications in python so far (about 1 year
experience).

Now I want to write an ftp-indexer (indexing files of
special interest) and a server-side-download tool (later
probably multi-threaded -> but that shall be a future
headache ;-)).

I have made myself familiar with the ftplib - but it
doesn' t seem to support resuming. (Is that right?).
Therefore I am trying to implement a small class myself
using the socket-lib.

I have the following questions:

  -> Is there already a neat tool for indexing / server-side
     download supporting resuming / multiple threads?

  -> How is the resuming implemented (didn't find the appropriate
     RFC).

  -> Is there some sample-code except for ftplib that I should have
     a look at (even other scripting-languages) / could use?

  -> Would it be easy to extend the ftplib with resuming-capabilities?

Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcome as well...

Thanks in advance,

Juilan Schaefer-Jasinski

Julian Schaefer-Jasinski		julschae at usa.net
Frankfurt, Germany			- Student of CS