Unix [was: do...until wisdom needed...]

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed May 9 22:47:15 EDT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001 01:28:59 +0000 (UTC), Mark Hadfield <m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz> wrote:

>> A free and popular Unix would have only had to be compatible with
>> itself.  DOS, which was the competition at the time, not Windoze 3.1,
>> was certainly no more compatible with human beings than Unix was.
>
>Well, DOS did have a "help" command.

Not that I remember.  IIRC, I was running PC-DOS 3.01 (3.10?)
when I gave up and switched to Coherent (a v7 clone from Mark
Williams Company).  That was on an 8MHz 286 w/ 512K of RAM, and
I had to port a few things like RCS and screen (after writing a
pty driver), but it was a wonderful system compared to the
horrible kludge that was DOS.  I even got the MGR windowing
system running on my Hercules Mono graphics board.  Linux
pretty much killed Coherent when it showed up with working
TCP/IP and X and MWC never caught up.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'd like TRAINED
                                  at               SEALS and a CONVERTIBLE on