How to tell a Python program where a shared library is?

Doug Fort dougfort at downright.com
Thu May 3 18:39:45 EDT 2001

Edward C. Jones wrote:

> Suppose I have a shared library, say "mymodule.so". How do I tell a Python
> program where "mymodule.so" is? If necessary I can change the PATH environment
> variable. How is this done?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed Jones

In Python 2.0 I could put my shared modules (or symlinks to them) in
.../site-packages and they'd be found.  In Python 2.1 I have had to add
'.../site-packages' to the PYTHONPATH, but I still think it's a good
approach, especially on a system that supports symbolic links.
--
Doug Fort <dougfort at downright.com>
Senior Meat Manager