Hungarian notation (was RE: variable naming...)

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Wed May 2 00:10:38 EDT 2001

Hungarian taken to the extreme of distinguishing
integers from floats, etc. is certainly pointless
in most languages nowadays, especially Python.

Sometimes, though, type-related inflections are
needed to distinguish things that would otherwise
have exactly the same name. For example, Object
Pascal code for the Mac abounds with things like

  type
    FooHandle = ^FooPtr;
    FooPtr = ^FooArray;
    FooArray = array[0..9999] of Foo;

It can also be useful to distinguish type names
from variable names (especially in a case-insensitive
language), and to make it clear which scope an
identifier belongs to. Python seems to have little
need for either of these, either.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg