make module for Python?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue May 8 04:06:22 EDT 2001

Hello!

I have not found it anywhere on the Web, but probably it
has different name, so it's better to ask.

I want a make-utility functionality (maybe not all, but
basic) to be available from Python. (Similarly to the
grep.py which provides grep functionality).

Is there anything for this?

If not, is it a good thing to develop "make.py" module for Python?

I'd liked to have make dependence info not only for files, but for
arbitrary class instances. Isn't it cool?

The original make is not suitable for the later task, because it is not
very flexible if dependence info changes rapidly. For example, if I
develop a Python script to process some markup into web-site in HTML,
dependence information from that markup need to be converted to Makefile,
which is not so cool (otherwise, I will regenerate every object, which
could be time-consuming). If I had an object which could control what
need to be done with what objects - it will be much easier.

(What I need is make-driven program, where control flow is defined by
make-like rules, but applied not only to files but for objects.)

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd at onego.ru -