Building Cygwin-Python extension modules - export strategies

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler at dothill.com
Tue May 1 14:36:29 EDT 2001

Mark,

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:43:54PM +0000, "Mark Hadfield" wrote:
> Jason has told me that he prefers Option 1. Perhaps he would like to explain
> why.

I guess that I don't really have very strong arguments to support my
position.  My preference for Option 1 is mostly due to inertia (many
modules already used DL_EXPORT) and the normal human instinct to avoid
pain -- one stops banging their head when it hurts too much. :,)

But seriously, there is one (albeit small) advantage to Option 1.  Which
is the ability to build the shared extension using either the traditional
Misc/Makefile.pre.in or newer Distutils method.

> Since Jason is the Cygwin Python demi-god

Hmm...demi-god.  What are you going to call me after I write my sixth
Python script? :,)

> But lets talk about this and tease out any more pros and cons.

You may want to try the distutils-sig at python.org list too.  You may have
better luck there.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler at dothill.com