GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri May 18 11:47:24 EDT 2001

Terry Reedy <reedy37 at home.com> wrote:
[snip]
> By binaries, I was thinking of extension modules like PIL, wxPython, etc
> for which the developers have often made Windows binaries but not
> everything else.

Note that many distributions do package these up. I don't know about
wxPython, but Debian for instance does package up PIL and quite a host of
other extensions. Debian has a very nice dependency management system, so
in some cases installing stuff is actually easier and safer than it is on
Windows. That said, in other cases it's likely easier to go the
Windows route (PyGame for instance is a hassle to install due to the
many dependencies).

Regards,

Martijn