What can you do in LISP that you can't do in Python

Isaac To Kar Keung kkto at csis.hku.hk
Tue May 15 19:52:06 EDT 2001

    Thomas> You missed one thing: the ability to do things to the code block
    Thomas> before evaluating it.  I'm not very good at TCL, but wouldn't
    Thomas> you need to get a TCL parser to figure out how the code block is
    Thomas> composed before you can change it?

In Lisp, "everything is a List", so the code to execute is a list.  We don't
need to "parse" it: it is in a format that Lisp interpreters can run right
away.

In Tcl, "everything is a string", so the code to execute is a string.
Really not a lot of differences in concepts: you run the "string" right
away.

Both would need the execution environment to understand how to execute a
"list" or a "string".  Whether you call it "interpretation" or "parsing" is
up to you.  But of course, I'd rather use lists to represent my program
rather than strings.

Regards,
Isaac.