Unix [was: do...until wisdom needed...]

Mats Wichmann xyzmats at laplaza.org
Thu May 10 12:41:57 EDT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001 07:11:44 GMT, "Fredrik Lundh"
<fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

>Douglas Alan wrote:
>> > Only if Unix had been more compatible with Unix, and with ordinary
>> > human beings.
>>
>> A free and popular Unix would have only had to be compatible with
>> itself.  DOS, which was the competition at the time, not Windoze 3.1,
>
>ah, the revisionism.  ever used Microsoft Xenix ?
>
>fwiw, Microsoft is rumoured to have been using Unix internally, on
>homebrewn 68k boxes, years before some others guys decided to
>run away with the Stanford University Network computer design
>and start selling it as their own...

Years before?  Not 68k boxes, that chip came along in 1981 or so and
Sun was rolling soon after that.  I was working for a long-deceased
competitor and I know who did the first UNIX port to the Sun hardware
(of course Sun quickly pitched that and did their own).

Mats Wichmann

(Anti-spam stuff: to reply remove the "xyz" from the
address xyzmats at laplaza.org. Not that it helps much...)