Which GUI Lib?

Boudewijn Rempt boudewijn at tryllian.com
Mon May 14 05:18:03 EDT 2001

Ross Dawson wrote:

> Hi folks,
>             Prob a question that has started a million arguments (as is OS
> wars).  I'm a Python newbie but an experienced developer.  From what I see
> of Python I like that clarity of vision that a single designer language
> that
> Python embodies (thank Guido).  Ok so I know a lot of you all contribute
> also (thanks also)
>
> The question is what GUI library to use?
>
> My development is MS Win and Linux and I want a reasonably full featured
> set that is generally source code compatible across platforms.
>
> I'd love to hear comments or pro/cons for the following
>
> Tk
> Qt
>
> any decent IDE's.  Komodo has some nice features but the performance is
> pretty ordinary :-/  Boa-Constructor?
>
> What about gui designers, you know VB/Delphi ish, even if it just produces
> some template code?

If you want a full-featured GUI designer that makes your life easy, you
should try BlackAdder. It's based on PyQt and Qt Designer, and while still
beta, it shows a lot of promise. On Linux, you can get practically the same
results with Qt Designer and PyQt - but not so nicely integrated.
BlackAdder really has promise as a rapid design or development tool.

I've just written a review of BlackAdder and Komodo for InformIT, but it
will be a while before it's up - and my book on PyQt will take a bit
longer, but it's coming.

--
Boudewijn | http://www.valdyas.org