bracing for a firestorm

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 17:15:40 EDT 2001

"- RZ" <rzantow at usa.net> wrote in message
news:93d9a839.0105210833.6da56b58 at posting.google.com...
> This isn't intended to be a troll, and I'm not arguing it's even a
> good idea,
> but:
>    Can anyone tell me what would be involved in creating a version of
> Python that used {braces} as its indent/dedent delimiters? What
> modules would have to be changed?

It would almost be enough to change the tokenizer -- you WOULD
have to decide on a different and incompatible way to express a
dictionary display, of course, if '{' is to stand for INDENT and '}'
for DEDENT, a dictionary couldn't be {k1:v1, k2:v2} any more.

Then you'd have to edit all of libs\*.py, but that could presumably
be automatized without breaking a sweat -- change INDENT into
'{', '{' token into (who knows), etc.

Alex