Python vs. Perl

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri May 25 04:39:38 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 08:52:43PM -0400, Fran?ois Pinard wrote:
> [Jonathan Gardner]

> > On Thursday 24 May 2001 01:56 pm, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> > > And if that isn't enough reason, there's more! Writing code in Python
> > > is very easy, because you can write code almost as fast as you can type.

> > Is it true?  I've heard rumors of Python programmers programming as fast
> > as they can write...

> This might indicate that typing is the programming bottleneck, this is not
> good.  Typing should not significantly slow down the act of programming.

Why not ? When I've decided what kind of class I want to create, I use my
full 200+ keys per minute to write the class, including most, if not all, of
its methods. If I could type faster, I'd be done faster ;) I do my thinking
while playing on the office pinball machine, or getting a new supply of Coca
Cola cans from the vending machine, or reading my mail. Or just by staring
at the interpreter, occasionally trying things out. Works for me, just fine
;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>