Redhat 7.1 and Python 2.1

Paul Hughett hughett at mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Wed May 23 11:00:22 EDT 2001

Eric Lee Green <eric at badtux.org> wrote:

: As for why Red Hat included Python 1.5.2 rather than Python 2.1, it
: was because Python 1.6.1 and Python 2.1 (with the GPL-compatible
: licenses) had not been released in time to properly test with RH7.1. I
: was a beta tester for RH 7.1 and they specifically said, at least on
: the beta list, they weren't using Python 2.0 because of the licensing
: issue. Hopefully now that Python 2.1 is out, with a GPL-compatible license,
: we can move upwards and onwards in the Linux Python world.

Python 2.0 is included as package python2 on the 7.1 PowerTools CD,
which comes with the Workstation edition but not--I believe--with the
lowest-price edition.

Paul Hughett